Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection

Organizing the "Hoard"

Wow, it's been a long time since my last post, and so much has happened during that time. I was hyper-focused on finishing up my degree, and it is with a great sigh of relief that I can say that in the Fall of last year I completed it. I now have the diploma for the wall, so it must be official. I did that while I was also working a full time job (about five months of which, I was covering both my work and the work of a coworker who moved to another position. In the mean time that meant that my personal business suffered. Well everything outside of those two things suffered really, I wasn't able to prepare and list a lot for the store to the extent it could have been. What I was still able to do during that time was shop for the store, AND BOY DID I SHOP

 Tote bag made from vintage bed sheet 
scraps and a duck iron on.

I'm only now just starting to find my footing and focus again, so, as the heading of this blog implies, I had been steadily amassing a very extensive collection of fabrics over that time, so much so that it is now overwhelming my life. 

Some of the "Hoard" that's listed for sale
 
I have always collected fabrics, vintage sheets being the primary focus of my (yes I'll say it) ADDICTION, but because I could not prepare them for projects or for sales, it all just piled up. My mind is starting to turn to thoughts about moving in a little over a year, and the idea of taking it all with me is daunting. 

A vintage sheet that's been quarter fat bundled 
and listed for sale

Well then, so what does a self proclaimed fabric whore do when it all becomes this overwhelming?? She starts to purge, and this has become a purge on a grand scale. So far in two weeks, I have managed to empty two plastic tubs of fabric, which feels AMAZING! 

 A baby quilt put together with vintage
scraps I couldn't stand to let go of. 

I have sorted, ironed, cut down, created new projects, donated, and given away pounds of scrap, and I'm not even close to done yet, but every night I go home and work some more. The room feels a little lighter and so do I. Not to mention it all looks so amazing when it is this organized, neat and in plain view. It just looks damn good! I'm even beginning to find new motivation to start sewing whole heartily again.


 Some coasters created from vintage
upholstery fabric remnants

I still have a long way to go, but Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was this hoard. I've made the start, and that's something to be proud of. Stay tuned, this "finisher" is underway. I hope to post more on the progress as it goes along.


No comments: